注册 登录  
 加关注
   显示下一条  |  关闭
温馨提示!由于新浪微博认证机制调整,您的新浪微博帐号绑定已过期,请重新绑定!立即重新绑定新浪微博》  |  关闭

花旗国的半边天

An Exploration of Women's Issues

 
 
 

日志

 
 

美国少女怀孕率下跌(US Teen Pregnancy Rates Decline)  

2012-06-06 20:46:53|  分类: 默认分类 |  标签: |举报 |字号 订阅

  下载LOFTER 我的照片书  |

      

美国少女怀孕率下跌(US Teen Pregnancy Rates Decline) - 美国马尾妹 - 花旗国的半边天

 

       在美国,少女怀孕问题年复一年地影响着成千上万的年轻女性。但近年来,随着有关预防意外怀孕的课程在校园里普及,少女怀孕率有下降的趋势。然而现状不容乐观,美国的少女怀孕率虽有所下跌,却仍比其他发达国家高出九倍之多。美国的疾病控制中心最近发布的数据显示,2010年,每1000名15至19岁的年轻女性中就有34.3位过早地当上了妈妈。这个比例相比09年下降了9个百分点,是自1946年以来的最低纪录。但是,少女怀孕问题仍旧堪忧,因为这关系到对美国社会的影响,尤其是女性。

An issue that affects thousands of young women each year is teen pregnancy.  In recent years, however, teen pregnancy rates have been declining, mainly due to pregnancy prevention classes taught at school.  Although rates have been dropping, the teen pregnancy rates for Americans is still nine times higher than the rates for other developed countries.  Recent data released by the Center for Disease Control shows that in 2010, the rates of teen pregnancy were 34.3 births per 1,000 women aged 15 to 19.  This was a nine percent decrease from 2009 and the lowest teen pregnancy rate since 1946.  Despite the decrease, this issue still poses a serious concern for Americans because of the negative effects of teen pregnancy, especially on women.

 According to research, women who give birth during their teen years often drop out of high school.  Only 50% of teen moms will receive their high school diploma by the time they reach age 22, and only 1.5% of teen moms will receive a college degree by age 30.  Clearly, this will affect the teen mom’s ability to provide for her child financially.  Furthermore, 80% of teen fathers do not marry teen mothers, meaning that many teen moms will be single parents.  Of the teen couples that do marry, only 30% of those marriages are successful; the other 70% of marriages end in divorce.  These teen moms, and their child, often rely on welfare and also have very high rates of poverty, which often leads to the child also having a teenage pregnancy as well.  This cycle of teenage pregnancy, poverty, and low education level, is likely to continue through several generations.  

 Aside from the social aspects, there are several health-related concerns surrounding teen pregnancy.  Babies born to teen moms have a 30% higher chance of being low-weight and a 50% higher infant mortality rate than babies born to women over 20 years old.  Furthermore, pregnant teens are the age group with the highest rates of receiving no prenatal care.  Pregnant teens are also at high risk for severe anemia and hypertension. 

 With all the risks, many people may wonder why teen pregnancy is still so common in America, especially compared to other developed nations.  A study being published later this month may provide some insight.  The study found that high income-inequality has an astounding affect on teen pregnancy rates.  A few weeks ago, we discussed gender equality throughout the world.  The new report shows that countries with high levels of gender and income equality, like Switzerland, have low teen pregnancy rates. 

Discussion Questions

       Why do you think teen pregnancy rates are so high in America?  Do you think that teen pregnancy is a concern for society?  How can women break the cycle and empower themselves to reduce rates or overcome a teen pregnancy?

讨论:美国少女怀孕率为何如此之高? 这个问题应该引起社会关注吗?美国妇女如何才能增强自身的力量,扭转这个局面,解决少女怀孕问题?

Sources

CBS. (2012). U.S. teen pregnancy rates at an all-time low across all ethnicities. Retrieved from http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57411981-10391704/u.s-teen-pregnancy-rates-at-an-all-time-low-across-all-ethnicities/

Teen Pregnancy Statistics. (2009). Teen pregnancy facts. Retrieved from http://www.teenpregnancystatistics.org/content/teen-pregnancy-facts.html

Teen Shelter. (n.d.). Statistics on teen pregnancy. Retrieved from http://www.teenshelter.org/Jims_Statistics_on_Teenage_Pregnancy_11-11-06.pdf

Wellesley College. (2012). U.S. teen births highest in the developed world; Wellesley economist investigates relationship to income inequality. Retrieved from http://new.wellesley.edu/news/releases/node/24033

        

  评论这张
 
阅读(905)| 评论(0)
推荐 转载

历史上的今天

评论

<#--最新日志,群博日志--> <#--推荐日志--> <#--引用记录--> <#--博主推荐--> <#--随机阅读--> <#--首页推荐--> <#--历史上的今天--> <#--被推荐日志--> <#--上一篇,下一篇--> <#-- 热度 --> <#-- 网易新闻广告 --> <#--右边模块结构--> <#--评论模块结构--> <#--引用模块结构--> <#--博主发起的投票-->
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

页脚

网易公司版权所有 ©1997-2017